Sunday, September 7, 2008

30th Reunion vs. "Boring"

Last night marked my 30th high school reunion. The shindig took place three and a half hours away. We had considered going, but opted not to.

I went to my 25th college anniversary last year. As I recollect the weekend what mostly comes to mind are sad thoughts. I like to think that I have changed quite a bit since my college days. (At least I HOPE so!) But as I reunited with my friends, so many seemed about the same. The language, the thoughts, the college humor, sophomoric sex tales. Excuse me, didn't we get off that train a long time ago? Do I really need to hear about your college sexploits? Geez, does your WIFE really want to hear about them? I remember that all I wanted to do was get home to my family. I spent too many of my college days and nights cleaning up literal and figurative messes after my drunk friends and roommates- I had no desire to do that in my forties.

So we opted to NOT go to the high school extravaganza. First, most of the people there I had not seen in 30 years. I delicately sent a list of my close friends and asked who, if any , were planning on attending- only one. Not enough incentive for 7 hours in the car.

Instead, we went out to lunch as a couple, went with the kids to the local college football game, and then took them to the teenage social event of the weekend and then watched a movie at home, together. As we watched and talked, my wife commented that, though our little town may seem a bit boring and the weekend's festivities were not those to write to Town and Country about, they were all she needed in the way of social endeavors. "Give me my family and small town life, and I'll be happy." I realized how right she was. All in all, it was a lovely evening wherein every person in the family felt fulfilled and happy.

So rather than an ephemeral and strained reconnection with a host of long-forgotten friends, we opted for real and present continued reconnection with family here and now. It was, I think, the better choice .

No comments: